Get Involved in Eastown!
With its eclectic mix of people, shops and special events, Eastown is a great place to get involved. There is a large amount of activity that goes into making Eastown a better place for businesses, residents and visitors and almost all of it is volunteer! If you want to help out, here a few ways!
Become a Member of the EBA or ECA
One of the first ways to get involved is to become a member of the Eastown Business Association (EBA) if you are a business owner, or the Eastown Community Association (ECA) if you are a resident. More information can be found in the Become a Member section.
Join a Committee
The EBA has several different committees set up to spread the responsibilities and to try and utilize people's abilities where they are strongest. These committees are always happy to invite new members and fresh ideas! The committees and description of what they aim to accomplish are as follows:
- Prepare and monitor budget and all fiscal activities
- Manage Board participation with ECA , NBA, Uptown, Neighborhood Ventures, and other groups as needed
- Prepare agendas and complete minutes for EBA Board and General meetings
- Seek new EBA members and continue relations with current members
- Provide personal welcomes to new businesses; deliver EBA membership packets
- Maintain EBA membership database
- Conduct annual membership drive
- Coordinate with Eastown’s Community Organizer on joint EBA/ECA projects and supervise specific projects the ECO may be contracted with to perform
- Design and manage EBA website and Facebook information
- Prepare content included for monthly EBA ENews, articles for ECA’s Access, other as needed
- Facilitate the public relations tasks of the EBA
- Facilitate communication to EBA members through email, website, Facebook, event calendar, other
- Prepare letters and other requested communications on behalf of EBA Board
- Plan annual group activities (Concierge Tour, Shop Hop, other) for business district during the year
- Identify and develop opportunities for property and business owners in Eastown to facilitate broad-based marketing of Eastown.
- Plan EBA advertising for Eastown Access (6 issues yearly)
- Coordinate with Uptown Marketing Group
Property and Commercial Development
- Address vacancy issues and/or recruit businesses to Eastown
- Address public safety, parking, and other infrastructure issue in business district as needed
- Inform EBA and ECA of new businesses in Eastown
- Address concerns regarding GR zoning codes and related issues
- Work on business district improvement projects as they develop (Hub Lot Project, other)
Special Events (joint Committee with ECA)
- Work with Eastown Community Association on joint committee to put on Eastown’s three major events: Picnic in the Park, Bizarre Bazaar, and Eastown Streetfair and help with annual Holiday Shop Hop
- Plan and/or assist with additional events like fundraisers or other Eastown events that enhance the Business District
Streetscape (joint Committee with ECA)
- Coordinate efforts to help beautify the Eastown Business District, including oversight of EBA’s contract with Tazzia Lawn Care, City of GR, other
- Work with the City of Grand Rapids on infrastructure, street repair, and other improvement opportunities
- Develop and implement new ways to advance beautification, recycling, garbage collection, and related activities in Eastown’s business district
Contact the EBA
If you are unsure about where or how you would like to get involved, just let us know and we will try our best to help you get involved where you feel most comfortable.